The Operations Assistant supports the operations manager in day-to-day operation of accounting, purchasing & warehouse functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Reconcile daily cash drawers. Maintain shortage and overage spreadsheet; weekly deposits preparation and cash entries.
- Reconcile petty cash and maintain balances, distribute daily paperwork from registers
- Assist with bank statement reconciliation and journal entries
- Retrieve and reconcile invoices for payment of TruServ and credit card statements.
- Receive all packing slips and reconcile all merchandise invoices daily, follow up on missing invoices and accounts payable discrepancies.
- Forward any backorder copies and tags to correct purchasing assistant.
- Work with warehouse to determine shipment discrepancies.
- Call in all vendor shortages, defects, damages, and returns. Acquire RMA’s, pack and ship returns, and ensure crediting is properly received. Maintain and collect all credits due including vendor receivables special account.
- Review and maintain negotiated vendor discounts.
- Pull account receivable balances monthly. Send appropriate communication (phone or mail) to ensure collection on account balances.
- Maintain storewide shrinkage report. Analyze and report data weekly.
- Maintain and update sales spreadsheet daily/weekly/monthly.
- Assist with year-end inventory reporting and cycle counts.
- Serve as back-up person on inventory data entry.
- Assist with maintenance and daily needs related to the Windward system and develop working knowledge of software. Keep abreast of updates and changes to the software.
General Ledger Responsibilities
- Perform month-end closing activities and reconciliations.
- Maintain general ledger accounts and prepare journal entries for accruals and variances.
- Generate account management reports on monthly basis.
- Assist various departments in accounting issue and queries.
- Assist in year-end preparation and filing activities.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and revenue accounts.
- Adhere to standard accounting principles and company procedures.
- Monitor all vendor payment agreements and monitor freight costs.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of credit cards
- Process incoming mail
- File expense invoices
- Prepare and audit check runs
- Maintain travel spreadsheet
- Performs all other reasonably related job duties as assigned by department manager or management.
Knowledge and Skill
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3-5 years prior accounting and/or analysis experience. Twelve consecutive months of that experience must have been acquired while in a full-time paid position.
- Must be able to read, speak and write English fluently and have a good understanding of bookkeeping and accounting principles.
- Must be able to communicate accounting principles to proper Company personnel, customers, and other as required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years computer experience, including use of Word, Excel and Internet.
- Must have working knowledge of office equipment (fax, computers, etc.) and phone systems.